Weekend Agenda | DIARY
Posted on August 24, 2012 by Refinery
Come the weekend, we share an agenda of things to do, see, discover, watch, eat, read, cook, bake, shop, drink, buy, listen to, visit, wear and many other verbs over the next few days.
- Bake: Ming Makes Cupcakes documents a personal journey for go-to cake recipes. By combing through old family recipes, community cookbooks and websites, Ming has created a project of cupcake experimentations for her family and friends – and strangers.
- Watch: Take five minutes out of your weekend to watch this lovely little short film! In Much Better Now, the main character is a bookmark, stuck in a forgotten book until one day when the wind knocks the book over, allowing the bookmark to enjoy the ride of its life…
- Drink: Here is a little cocktail confection to brighten even the most dreary winter day – the Winter Sun cocktail combines clementine, a touch of lemon vodka and a sprig of rosemary.
- Listen: Indie band Poolside released Pacific Standard Time in July and true to their breezy, summery name, the band has created a sound they call ‘daytime disco’ – 80’s dance and funk grooves combined with the lyrics to 70’s soft-rockers.
- Visit: A central figure in the 60’s American Pop Art movement, Roy Lichtenstein famously borrowed characteristics from comic strips and advertisements. Pop Remix is a National Gallery of Australia exhibition of his works at QUT Art Museum, ending this Sunday.
- Discover: ‘Never listen to music alone again’ with the website Drinkify, which automatically generates the perfect cocktail recipe to accompany any music.
- Read: In winter, it is important to have meaty, challenging books; books that will have to cozied up for long periods of time in the doona-loving months.
Check out Refinery’s top five reads for the season– before the season ends!
- Make: Winter’s nearly over and it is time to think about next season’s dreamy snack. Try these delicious black plum ice-cream sandwiches on homemade oat-graham crackers, with a great contrast between soft, creamy ice-cream and crunchy, crumbly outer cookie.
- Wear: Travel back in time with the harmonious Winter 2012 collection from Sydney-based Bri Cheeseman and Andrew Pri – otherwise known as Secret Squirrel.